⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mackka said:
If that is an inch ruler, you are lookin good.
Mackka

haha I wish it was inches Mackka. But if it was they'd be pretty big inclusions. :lol:

And thanks Jaros I'll take that as a pat on the back. Far from the exacting standards I've seen from others on here.
It's been a long hard slog trying to get things working right for me, all the while learning as I go. But it seems Matt Young at VJ's fitting a new handpiece was a game changer.
The help from this forum's members has been great. Any newbie would be well advised to come here for advice.

Cheers.
Badge.

We, the gemstone faceters, cabochoners, carvers, slicers and dicers, wish you all the best on your road trip full of heartache, headache, and lots of beautiful stones mixed in between. And then you get to the age old question, what do I do with all these stones? Take your time with each stone Badge, don't rush, think about it and then polish it. You will learn a lot with each stone, not just from your stone but from the material that you are using. AND, don't be afraid to ask questions from your family members.

Pat Hogen said:
We, the gemstone faceters, cabochoners, carvers, slicers and dicers, wish you all the best on your road trip full of heartache, headache, and lots of beautiful stones mixed in between. And then you get to the age old question, what do I do with all these stones? Take your time with each stone Badge, don't rush, think about it and then polish it. You will learn a lot with each stone, not just from your stone but from the material that you are using. AND, don't be afraid to ask questions from your family members.

Heaven forbid if I take the challenge :lol: sounds like it'll be more than I bargained for :beer: I really admire and appreciate all of your talents and craftsmanship :perfect:

Hi everyone. I just started a cabochon cutting and polishing course recently and three (of eight) stones in. Once complete, I'm keen to sign up and then can do the opal course.

Meanwhile, I found some Prehnite while up in Kununurra for work. Anyone worked with it before?

Attachments

• 20220414_142607.jpg
    20220414_142607.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220423_175449.jpg
    20220423_175449.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220423_175318.jpg
    20220423_175318.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Long weekend in the creek at Billabong Blue, taking advantage of the dry to access some wash that is usually well under the water table. Approx 11 ct. Was getting crumbs for two days, then out of nowhere it came. Was a happy camper.
1571739300_20191008_193656.jpg
Well, it's been a few years since I posted this piece of rough with much excitement. I finally got it cut and thought I would post the result. Very happy with the outcome, beyond my expectations. 3.8 carat cushion when finished. Little bit of blue left in the culet that shines up through the yellow. I feel the cutter really did a good job to optimise the rough. Still a happy camper long after returning home from that fateful trip. What a great hobby we have all chosen to involve ourselves in. Looking forward to the next find. Thanks again for your advice as well, @Dihusky.

Attachments

• received_1225717328296623.jpeg
    received_1225717328296623.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 0
  • received_741431947399778.mp4
    634.6 KB
Well, it's been a few years since I posted this piece of rough with much excitement. I finally got it cut and thought I would post the result. Very happy with the outcome, beyond my expectations. 3.8 carat cushion when finished. Little bit of blue left in the culet that shines up through the yellow. I feel the cutter really did a good job to optimise the rough. Still a happy camper long after returning home from that fateful trip. What a great hobby we have all chosen to involve ourselves in. Looking forward to the next find. Thanks again for your advice as well, @Dihusky.
Very cool to see how beautiful it eventually turned out to be, Splinter. What a find!