⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin&Lee

Colin&Lee
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a gemstone show and tell thread off as we seem to be all over the place ans there's no shortage of folks with good stones to show.

I 'll kick off with this beautiful little 3.4ct sapphire we found yesterday at GG, my heart stopped when I saw it on the end of the shovel. It's a pretty special stone I can't see any imperfections in it under a 10x Loupe :).

1372552601_dscf7379.jpg

1372552655_dscf7383.jpg

Sorry Nugget if we already have a show and tell thread mate but I couldn't find it , blame my domestic blindness ;)

Look forward to seeing heaps more pics and hearing heaps of stories

Cheers

C&L :)

Such Nice stones guys!

Can't wait to get my WalBanker into full swing & start collecting some of these for myself :cool:

Collin if you & Lee are planning a trip out to GG for more sapphires anytime soon let me know & we can run side by side & have a friendly competition. Winner keeps their stones.. Loser keeps their stones also :p Sounds like a good competition :D

Shauno that Citrine is stunning. I wouldn't sneeze at it. :p

Post as many pictures of your stunners as you want, it is a show & tell after all :cool:

Nice blue there newby :) have you been back to GG lately?

Matt The Magic Man sounds good mate my kinda comp ;) Lee and I are out there a fair bit just look out for the old Holden ute and come say g'day.

Syndyne that Topaz crystal is amazing a heart attack rock :)

Cheers

C&L

Excellent Colin! My WalBanker will be ready for pickup next weekend so I will head to Grabben Gullen or Oallen Ford on the way home from Canberra.

Syndyne said:
Matt The Magic Man said:
Shauno that Citrine is stunning. I wouldn't sneeze at it. :p

Post as many pictures of your stunners as you want, it is a show & tell after all :cool:

Cheers Matt!

We have a museum quality specimen that I will grab out and photograph now, ready post up on here asap. :)

Regards,
Shauno.

Nice, I look forward to seeing it!

I have an exhibition that you could kindly donate it to.

Syndyne said:
*Just found a couple older photos of our Topaz crystal also.

Both the Topaz and Citrene (post above) are from the Torrington area in N.S.W. This Topaz crystal is 1800carats and almost flawless. It's slightly on the Kerosene Blue colour side.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...11583_topaz_crystal_copyshaun_galman_2009.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...35_topaz_crystal_ii_copyshaun_galman_2009.jpg

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

thanks . i would have just thought that was quartz :eek:

Syndyne said:
Hi all,

Here's a gemstone that is sometimes overlooked by the more well known range of gems like Sapphires, Topaz, Garnet etc. This is our 94.5ct Citrene of a rare, natural lime-gold colour. It was significantly larger originally, but had been terribly faceted some years ago, so we had it re-cut by an extremely good cutter and it's done wonders to it. Not sure what you could do with a stone of this size really? It's an awkward size to put into a setting. Nice to look at though :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...4.5carat_citrene_ii_copyshaun_galman_2009.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6_94.5carat_citrene_copyshaun_galman_2009.jpg

I'll see what other shots I have on hand. Most of my mineral collection is packed away but I may be able to photograph the odd piece here and there over time. I have some exceptional Agates from around the world. One of which is a large Polyhedriod Agate (geometric shaped crystalline form of Agate) that is one of my favorite pieces.

Hopefully I don't bog this thread down. If it's too much I could always open another thread dedicated to larger collections.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

that must have been a massive terminator in its original form . most citrine i have had changes from dark orange to clear within a short distance but yours is pretty much the same colour right through

Holy crap Shauno , looks like an aerial shot of Manhattan :eek:
They are some awesome specimens & Gems you have there , love em

Thanks for the kind words all!

HeadsUp: I know exactly what you mean with Citrene. I have a few othersmall bits and pieces that are brownish-clear here and generally not very impressive as far as crystals go. This cut stone is definitely of exceptional colour. Many that have seen it, including a few good jewelers over the years have made many offers to buy it. We'll sell it only if we ever get a better one ;) Not sure just how large the original specimen would have been as we bought it already cut. I'll bet it was an eye-opener though!

Matt The Magic Man: Not sure about a Kryptonian living in there but, you need to be the Man of Steel to lift the entire thing! :D

We have quite a collection built up since the 50's thanks to my father and uncle and more recently myself. Plenty to share here over time.
Kindest regards,
Shauno.