⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you love it when you first see a bit of colour showing in the pan :)

View attachment 7416
Its certainly powerful drug moneybox. I can admit that being amongst people who share the same weakness here. I am still amazed how something out of the ground in its natural state can be so beautiful.

Last edited:
Have been working on a hard rock location in NSW, initially found detecting. The lode consists of quartz + ironstone veins from the Hillend trough.
Here are some of the results so far.

Attachments

• 20220823_145206.jpg
    20220823_145206.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220824_085741.jpg
    20220824_085741.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230104_104358.jpg
    20230104_104358.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Excellent work

There is some awesome gold up that way if you stay distracted by reedys creek.
Awesome work 👌
.thanks 20x. very kind of you
im a fair way up the valley from reedy but ive done it and its heaps better than way up here. always gold in every pan above Eldorado.
national parks and exempt rivers are very limiting but its all about sitting in the river sinking a few cans with mates and im kind of glad the gold is too lean to encourage lots of banker pump motors and illegal dredging.
if the attachment comes through heres an unusually large picker i got after work quick session yesterday IMG_20230316_190233.jpg

Did a little panning near a rock bar that run through a creek and I haven’t seen gold in long strands like this before. But I am only relatively new to panning. Does the shape of the gold indicate that it hasn’t traveled far? From the source? Any ideas and theories?
That gold looks pretty smooth to me, whereas gold near to its source is typically more rough and ragged. The longish, flattened flakes are quite unusual, but the size and quantity is excellent for panning. Make sure you clean out every little nook and cranny in that area, right to the very rock bottom.

Well done, by the way! 👍

That's a very nice piece. I reckon it's jewellery quality and would make a lovely pendant.
You certainly won the gold lottery that day!
Absolutely, yes it's small and the value is not huge but finding something that size in a pan these days is so rare and to me the sentimental value is huge.

The best part was my partner was across the creek and witnessed my tears of joy, so a treasured memory that will last a lifetime!

That gold looks pretty smooth to me, whereas gold near to its source is typically more rough and ragged. The longish, flattened flakes are quite unusual, but the size and quantity is excellent for panning. Make sure you clean out every little nook and cranny in that area, right to the very rock bottom.

Well done, by the way! 👍
Thanks for your reply. The long flat pieces did puzzle me.

Thanks for your reply. The long flat pieces did puzzle me.
It's possible those are typical of a particular location and source of gold. Some places are known for orebodies with wire gold, which can look a bit like a bunch of golden wires, thick or thin. There's also leaf gold, which occurs in a thin, papery form. Your pieces may have originated as either of these, before the action of running water and abrasion broke up the gold and over time flattened and smoothed the resultant fragments.

Latest posts