✅ Metal detector insurance

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get it added to your House & Contents insurance as specified Portable Contents/Valuables if you have it. My GPZ is specifically named on my policy for an agreed value ($9500) & from memory it was an extra $40-50/year or maybe less - would need to check. It's insured against theft, loss or damage in transit or if being stored/kept anywhere in Australia outside of my home. It's not insured whilst in use i.e. whilst actually out detecting as per insurance companies rules on sporting equipment.
One company I was with wouldn't add my gear & others have a limit for specified portables/valuables I believe? You would need to check with your insurer. I'm with Budget Direct now & was surprised they added it without hesitation after the more upmarket company saying no.
I couldn't find standalone insurance that would be anymore beneficial than doing the above but if someone knows of an insurance product that offers more cover at a reasonable price I'd be interested.
Theft from my vehicle or campsite/accommodation is probably the biggest risk or worry for me followed by getting damaged in an accident so I reckon the home & contents cover is reasonably adequate. Most damage whilst in use wouldn't mean total failure or replacement required (unless you wrap it around a tree repeatedly :lol: ) so the excess would more than likely make it not worthwhile to claim or if under warranty may even be covered anyway.

Thanks for the tips guy's, will make a few inquiries to add to the household policy at agreed value...Quote mbasko $40/$50 per year could be a small price to pay and a lot better than having to fork out another $9500...If I told my wife that I have to sleep with my Z out of fear it gets stolen from the car overnight I'm sure all hell would break out and she would also be looking for a replacement haha.

Cheers :))

Just an update. I checked my policy this morning. It was $105 to add the GPZ for the agreed value of $9500 not $40/50 :8 Sorry blokes the $40-50 was for adding some other stuff not the detector.
Still $105/year or a bit over $2/week isn't too bad considering I could be $9500 in the hole if it gets pinched. I couldn't replace it if uninsured!

What companies cover metal detectors and what price in your caravan or car whilst traveling because im just about to chase it up can anbody help

The only way I've found to insure them is by adding to your contents insurance for specified portables/sporting equipment.
They will only cover them for theft from home or while in transit/storage + accidental damage/loss while not in use (none I've come across will cover them while in use).
Some insurers won't add them at all so you'd have to contact your insurer & discuss with them. Mine is on my Budget Direct contents policy & the QED + accessories is covered for $2500 - was less than $100/year but not sure of the exact amount without digging my policy out. My GPZ was insured for $9k & it was somewhere between $100-150/year.

I covered a GPZ for $8,500, the price paid for it second hand, just for a few months while I had it for my FNQ trip with RACV Insurance. It was added to the home contents policy as an 'extras' away from home item, just like my wife's jewellery and sons professional camera gear. Cheers

Thanks 4 that ,a good start 4 me because your talking alot of money worth up 20,000 dallars worth at the momment

Has anyone ever had any experience insuring a metal detector? It's a thought I've had lately, I had some killer hunts lately and I'm thinking about purchasing a GPZ-7000. The price freaks me out a bit when I think of getting broken into or something and then being down a pretty large sum of money. Anyone ever had any experience with something like that?

I went though the process put it under your house contents metal detectors, gps,generator,i(i added it up 25,000 bucks worth) it cost me about 30 bucks extra a month whilst traveling but u can take them off whilst not traveling (nrma nsw) bit hard to explain but they'll explain it better, so say it's mid summer an probably not going to go out u can it back FLATLANDER

Thank you! I wasn't really sure, only things I have insured are ny health and car. I'll be living out of a van for my time in Australia. I'm not exactly sure how that will work but your response gives me hope haha!

1546500690_21bda519-4d44-4c36-b356-5fecb4b014db.jpg

We have our detector covered in our house and contents...
They are covered when we are out bush as is our camping gear ......
RAC Western Australia.....
Yes you pay a bit extra .....

Thanks for the info guys, I don't mind paying a bit extra each month for the peace of mind. $7k US is a lot of money, if it got lost I don't think I'd be able to replace it while I was still there atleast. My most expensive machine right now is 1/7th the price so I never really thought about it.

I'm American, I wasn't sure which one to go with. Probably should have just gone with Australian :lol:

Who do you go through for inssurance for your metal detectors, for at home and on the road?

Speak to your household contents insurer, you may well be able to add it to your cover both at home and while travelling, we have done this with my photographic equipment and electronics. (iPads, etc)

Latest posts