G'day from the Burdekin Qld..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We'll I just like to hello to all forum members and just to let you all know a little about myself. I use a GPX 5000 which I find is quite a nice detector to use after getting my head around all the different menus and so forth. I also have a whites GMT which I must admit that I haven't used since getting myself a GPX 5000. All up since metal detecting I've only managed to find 15 little nuggets which total weight is only about 10g which I'm content with so far. As they say little ones do add up... I hope to go out bush with the dog again for a detect this Sunday if all goes well, who knows that big one might just be around the corner better to be out bush searching and learning my machine even more then sitting at home wondering if theirs gold out their. Well I thought I would say hello and hope everyone has a safe trip when out prospecting, bye for now.

Dream the dreams of the big winners Hatter70,the only other way to get there is good luck(that helps too), I hope that big find is just around the corner for you. I'm just a poor treasure hunter myself $ & c man as well as being a rubbish remover(mostly).

G'day silver how true that is we must dream and hope that the next find could be the one. I guess we have to start some where and the best place for me is out bush searching whenever I can and amongst the junk that comes along with detecting but when the next target that I dig could be a nugget and sometimes it is is what keeps me going and enjoying this hobbie out doors with fresh air and the way the old prospectors lived and worked these diggings is amazing.

That's how I get with the silvers, and the detective part of detecting is certainly a key element in the retrieval of any goodies, even the rubbish lets you know what was once going on where you are digging.

Yeah u have to investigate those gut feelings when searching and you are right the junk does let you know what has happened in any given area that you are detecting wether the activities on those fields are recent or still from the past.

That's it, I will sometimes dig a low signal, just because it sounded good and solid and tight in scan(Ace250) and come up with a ring when normaly I would avoid that signal by its audio tone as it would not be one that I would ever touch.

Yeah that happened to me the other week I thought when I got a signal it was junk again as the area I was detecting has a fair bit of junk and has been hammered by other detector operators but as I started to take a bit of dirt off the top with my boot and scanned it again the signal became more mellow which is what I like to hear and after digging it out it was a nice little nugget, if I didn't investigate it I would have just walk by and left it.

That happens in the coin department as well, what can seem to be a mid range signal 10s 20s etc or junk with just one hint of high range signal can turn out to be all high range signal when a few inches of dirt has been taken off of the top, and turn out to be a silver sixpence or piece of brass or bronze instead.

Hi Hatter, your in the right area, just head west for lots of good area's. Good gold/relic sites.Hope you
strike it lucky.

Cheers,
Rob

G'day Lee thanks for the welcome mate. One day when I have time after work I'll have to try and catch a meeting at the Townsville detecting club.

Hi Digger Danny yes their is some good places out west from here but gaining permission to go detecting on some properties is very difficult. Well hope you strike it lucky as well.

Latest posts