50c / 20c / 10c and 5c oldest coins and values

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathKiss

George Popa
Reaction score
I wanna start a finding the oldest 50c / 20c / 10c and 5c coins
What is the biggest value that you can get for each of rare/collectible

Share your oldest 50c / 20c / 10c and 5c coin

Ready....set....go :D

Mine don't last long enough to become rare and collectable :D, kids,grandkids and wife

Honestly, the only used decimal coin worth anything above face value is the original round 50c coin. There maybe a couple of others like the wavy"2", but they would have to be almost in uncirculated or mint condition. Gone are the good old days of pre-decimal where you got lots coins with die faults or there weren't many issued in a particular year.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but they're only worth spending. I wreck a lot of old cars and find lots of coins under seats or wherever, but they all go in the coin tin until I need some money to spend.

It's just like all collectables, they are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

DeathKiss said:
Heatho said:
The year 2000 $1 mule coin fetches way above face value. I actually detected one a while ago.

http://www.australian-coins.com/error-coins/2000-1-10-cent-mule/

And what are they worth ? Lol

Enough to buy a good detector in the right condition. In coins the rarity and as important is condition. However those two factors do not determine price. You then have the human factor which is "want" if it is something people want and it is limited then you have an increase in value.

So hard to say but a basic one will be a few hundred to a thousand easily and a good condition up to about $5K market depending.

See they are not as rare as first thought. However condition as you can see plays a part in the price.

For those interested there is a new error around at the moment as well. So keep your eyes peeled !

There are a few decimal coins worth money. Like the $1 mule mentioned by Heatho and the wavy 20 cent. There are others. Some 5 cents and even 2 cent pieces. It might be the 1976 2 cent from memory with the designers initials, SD, missing.

Westaus said:
DeathKiss said:
Heatho said:
The year 2000 $1 mule coin fetches way above face value. I actually detected one a while ago.

Enough to buy a good detector in the right condition. In coins the rarity and as important is condition. However those two factors do not determine price. You then have the human factor which is "want" if it is something people want and it is limited then you have an increase in value.

So hard to say but a basic one will be a few hundred to a thousand easily and a good condition up to about $5K market depending.

See they are not as rare as first thought. However condition as you can see plays a part in the price.

For those interested there is a new error around at the moment as well. So keep your eyes peeled !

What's this new error coin you speak of??? :)

DeathKiss said:
Heatho said:

Mine not much as it was hit by a mower....... :( These pics are enough to make any serious coin collector queezy.

1473289440_20150816_164148.jpg

1473289440_20150816_164201.jpg

i collect error coins, some are worth more than others and yeah condition is a big part, things like rabbit eared $1 can be a couple of bucks over face where as a $1 mule is a expensive one to buy, some others are good to find also wavy 20c, wave gap 20c, webbed foot 5c, rotated die etc

Hi Westaus,

Can't find out much about the Olympic $2 coin, wondering if you could give me a heads up on what we should be looking for?
As the wife has a bag of them, as she likes them and she never has collected any coins before. :)

Latest posts