On the farm with the Ace250

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This weekend did not quite goes as i had hoped.
The plan ( well .. the plan i had in mind)was to stay at the outlaws farm and do a preliminary search of a few areas that i believe could yield some potential goodies.
I picked up the ex mid morning , picked up some bbq food and headed to her oldies place.
i wasnt expecting her to have invited the tribe to come over as well. :rolleyes: ( trust a woman to turn peace into mayhem... Oh ye , i remember now...thats why we're not together anymore)
with her niece and her family and kids around deterred me from all the expected interruptions and distractions of 3-4 year olds around my ankles , wanting to help dig holes( which would actually be back filling quicker than i could dig them out) and asking" WHY ?" (As they do) ... NO THANKS :mad:
I did get the detector out for a couple of hours late saturday arvo.
with only about an hour or so light left,i headed straight to the clothes line area(thanks wolfau)
with a few finds , but not very old. Im thinking a bit more research is needed :8
1404640494_image.jpg

1404640564_image.jpg

( 1x10c,2x2c,5x1c , a pretty cool brass button and bit of other rubbish)

My ex got a call to work sunday , so we didnt even stay on the farm.
Oh well , it will all still be there to discover next time... Maybe even next weekend. ;)

Just make sure that good looking large washer isn't a holey dollar Sandta, and good luck with the hunt.
Hunt with pinpoint and analyse the good signals in all metal mode( its quicker if there are not many targets).

Thanks guys , no its just a washer... I even checked the washers on the clothes line crosses :D
More research required ... Turns out that their house was the second house built on this property and has been relocated.
I believe the road/track into the popery is original , the main road passed the property has a known Cobb & Co about 2kms up the road and a known Inn a bit further along.
I think around the front entrance deserves a good look around .
We have never found the original rubbish pit nor the dunny pit on this property either, so these are my ultimate goal

Late afternoon and early morning sunlight angles shows up depressions in the ground better !
That might make it easier to find the old toilet pit(which they would have filled in), as long as the grass isn't too long.
If it's too long, get the cows in for a while to chew things over for you Sandta.
Rubbish was usually dumped in a bit of a gully(to fill it in) or in a spot that doesn't get the right light to grow things properly(side of a hill).

I returned to the outlaws farm today , arrived around 11am. No kids this time.... :)
I went straight back out to the clothes line area ( thanks again Wolf) this time with no distractions i managed to scour the area pretty well. I dug heaps of junk ... But amongst it all i pulled some pre decimals and some more 1 & 2 cent pieces.
1405161421_image.jpg

1405161512_image.jpg

4x large pennys - 1950,1939,1911 and 1947(although not totally cleaned , the 7 looks like a 'j') , 1943or 45 half penny and 1951 six pence plus 10c , 4x2c , 4x 5c , 4x 1c , a cool little brass bell , a ring and even an old marble

DAMN that ace 250 is working overtime. just shows a good site and even a basic detecta can produce. nice work.
phewww, you must have been digging holes like a groundhog on heat. I get tired just looking at the pics. :lol:

Unreal Sandta, early Christmas with that nice 1961 sixpence. must have been a fun time for you.

Hey slipped disc, funny you should say that ... the oldies were out for he day, i left a note that they had a serious groundhog infestation and they should contract Bill Murray to take care of the problem :lol:
I think i might have to bite the bullet and buy a sniper coil , there is just too much junk around the house.not 100% sure how these work exactly but do realise they are much smaller , presumably more concentrated inward. I suppose if you had a specific target type in mind , even using this original coil ,you could discriminate out everything else... Sounds good in my theory anyway :D
Silver , I have spotted a slab that the pan dunny was on , maybe that covers a pit , the house was relocated to this spot 56 years ago, maybe no pit on this site.but have just been told that there was a labourers hut on this spot before the house was put here ( dragged up by tractor , rolling on logs)maybe he just shit behind a tree :lol:
This house site ( and its original site, where the new house stands- currently rented out) are both on top of ridge along/above the river. There are many humps ,hollows ,ridges and gullies all around the domestic parts of the property making it very difficult to identify likely dump site. We have found things in the past , down the slopes to the river. Also many shards of glass and pottery in one general spot at top of track leading down to river ,this seems the best indication yet but have investigated many times without success .
I have been told that the previous occupants had cut up and buried numerous cars around the place( presumably stolen)

Maybe you could dig and sieve a bit of that pottery spot Sandta, just to get an idea of it's depth and contents, if you dig out wider a bit as well(just shallow) it might turn up a few clues that you could never find with any detector,.....ever. If there are prevailing winds(one direction most of the time) maybe the labourer would have settled in down wind of his camp for that shite.

Almost 12 months since posting on this one , now on my own farm( well sort of a farm anyway)
Being such a large area to cover and relatively little rubbish , i decided to use the Ace250 since it is fitted with the larger Nell Hunter coil.
I have purchased this same coil for my Sovereign too, however , have discovered that there are 2 different size mountings within the Sovereign range and naturally the lower shaft i have and the coil i bought are different, so im now looking or another lower shaft with the narrower mounting block. ( but thats another story)
I got out for about an hour late this arvo.... The end of the yard adjacent to the driveway
1435749076_image.jpg

1435749126_image.jpg

1863 brittania ... Probably the best condition penny ive found so far :D

Not sure what the problem is ... But ive had trouble loading pictures.
Has taken an hour to get these up :mad:

Very nice Brittania, your farm looks like it has a lot of promise. Better get cracking and find that elusive 1895 coin. ;)

Latest posts