Revisiting the Turbo pan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Ok so a the heading indicates I've decided to give this a second chance. At first I hated it, I felt there were too many design issues and I wasn't prepared to waste to much potential prospecting time on it as being a Garrett convert I couldn't see that it was "faster" or "better". After a couple of outings it made its way into the foot well on the passenger side of the Ute and only made it to the creek when i was too involved to pan out in the Garrett, basically becoming a shallow bucket for fines and ultra fines.

Went out and left my Garrett at home (I'm forever forgetting something) and had only one choice, or go home. So I used it. Now I'm not a great panner maybe a good one, and have been panning daily for a couple of months to the point I'm happy and confident and can process a decent amount, usually the back gives up before i want to. So I gave it a chance. Its not hard to use, but i find myself still thinking my way through it, so it seems slower. But the reality is its not, now I've spent some quality time on it and timed myself on it its faster. A few pans in an hour faster, which might not seem like much, but in winter it gets me to the creek with an hour of daylight. It gets me more gold, because now armed with a shovel, a bucket and a snuffer I go and process material I wasn't getting before.

I've found I can slip down before tea time and be home for dinner. That makes two people in my house happy. I put all my finds together for the last week and its a handy haul, and on top of that I got 8 hours in this week I wouldn't have without it. To be fair to my other pans am I losing gold? Maybe. I haven't tested it properly. But the extra I have more than makes up for it, cancels out the loses. The shortcomings of this pan are still there. Its hard to pan out the cons effectively. But using the snuffer, and a little bit of finesse its not too bad.after checking the cons its hello Garrett. Now my pans are being used the other way around for get in get out missions.

These pans are designed by an Aussie, and I read a topic posted some time ago of an interview with the creator. Have a look its worth the read. Maybe I judged it too harshly, and maybe it didn't suit my thinking or needs at the time. But I've come around, I've opened my eyes to another possibility, and its got me more gold, enhanced my experience if you will. Its now found a place in my kit, and payed for itself so to me that qualifies it to make mention to you guys.

Great to see you giving it a go and getting results. One good thing with the TP is you dont have to classify. Just load it up and away you go. Handles clay really well also.

I have met the inventor a few times now. He is a top bloke.

There are a few videos on youtube. Just search Kim Turbopan.

Cheers,Tone

I use my turbo pan as the clasifier from 1" to fine. I don't get to excited cleaning up the last half a cup in the centre of the turbo pan, I wash this into a normal pan and at the end of a session I have 1 full pan of the goods that I normally take home to finish off.

Latest posts