Day out Turbo pan testing and finding gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well I packed up my kit and went bush looking at a few spots and revisiting a place that had some unfinished business...

The pic below is the place I went to about 6 weeks ago with the wife and son, we stayed for an hour then went to Cooktown.. I was out voted!
The rocks in the picture were just poking out of the water, how things change in a few weeks up north!

This is the area I started working on and found some nice colors to get the day off to a good start.
1377950823_2013-08-31_08.56.27_800x600.jpg

After I had cleared the crevices in the bottom of the photo, the long one running along the bottom right and the area in front of the rocky outcrop middle left, the rock strata sticking up all come apart and started to go down into clay.

1377950926_2013-08-31_08.56.57_600x800.jpg

I moved a bit further down stream and found this little beauty..
1377950978_2013-08-31_12.15.42.jpg

The rock was pretty clean but... There were some nice boil holes and some gravels tucked in behind the sloping face of the rock wall, the stream flows from the right.. After dodging a couple of scorpions hiding among the larger gravel... The entire bar is about 20 - 25 m from bank to bank and about 10 - 15 m across, lots of clean areas where the flow has washed the gravels away.

I opened up a couple of holes and ran it through the Turbo pan, the two pics are from each of the holes I cleaned out...
1377951101_2013-08-31_12.56.12.jpg

1377951165_2013-08-31_13.36.55.jpg

The Turbo pan, Well let me tell you, as you can see from pic of the rock bar there was not much water, there was a puddle about 2 x 2m and about ankle deep, it was on the front edge of the sloping face... it is just out of frame.

I used the turbo pan in this amount of water and got the results in the pics, seriously, this thing works! If you have one and have not used it, then take the time to learn how to use it, I was making large vigorous swirls under water, make four or five large swirls then stop, shake side to side to center and go again, keep the pan as level as you can, I was putting everything in there, 3-4 inch stones etc. At the big rock bar, I was using the Bunnings screen.. 1/4 " or there abouts, you will feel the larger overburden hitting your hands, it literally takes 2 minutes of work to get the pan down to a point where you are using the regular riffles and cleaning out. Early on in the day, I used the super sluice to pan out the first crevices and had the Turbo as a catch pan... just to see what would be saved, well after carefully using the super sluice, I panned out the turbo and there were four or five pieces in the pan..

The rock bar gave me an opportunity to use my home made crevice sucker, worked a treat getting the goodies out from the bottom of the holes, at least as far it would reach...

Have to do the final clean up, I estimate about .2g of flour gold.. no pickers today (( I will put up a pic when the cleaning is done, lots of black sands as you can see..

Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics

cheers, Tone

Everyone has there favorite pan and i must say the turbo pan looks
like a clever design. Your discribtion of your method in its use was good
and i must give one a try. I say the speed pan inaction yesterday in the
hands of a pro and wow! But gee what an odd design that one is.
Work smarter not harder.

My first pan was the turbo pan but I just recently bought a super sluice. I like the turbo pan but I just want to have a try at both.
Hey tone, I'm guessing that was your crevice sucker I posted some pics of the other day. Although there is no point in making one for myself I'm keen to hear how yours performs :)

Greg

Hey TenOunce Tone,

Looks like a great area with plenty of great places to go. Thanks for your description of the turbo pan as I have always heard about it but never had heard a personal account before.

I too use a Garrett Super Sluice and it has always done me justice. But the tide's are changing and so must I.

What I would like to know though, is, in still water I can see how the Turbo Pan can be of benefit with the shallow bowl allowing the heavys to sink to the bottom but how does it preform in running/flowing water?

Hi Tone,
Looks like a great place you get to prospect in. Thanks for the photos. I use the turbo pan to sample. Also have a Garrett Super sluice as well. I find the Turbo pan really easy to use as well.
Good luck in the future mate
Cheers
Rockerfella :) :)

Golden Tiger, Ihave not used the tubo in flowwing water. Yesterday was first time in the field with it. We either get full on raging torrents or still waters up here.. I cant see the flow effecting the way the pan works much unless you were in the middle of a really strong flow..

Greglz86 said:
My first pan was the turbo pan but I just recently bought a super sluice. I like the turbo pan but I just want to have a try at both.
Hey tone, I'm guessing that was your crevice sucker I posted some pics of the other day. Although there is no point in making one for myself I'm keen to hear how yours performs :)

Greg

Not sure what pic your talking about, if it is the leaf blower/bucket configuration thats not mine. the one i made can be found in do it yourself projects.. hand crevice dredge.. its a pdf file..

cheers, tone

Yep, that's the one I was talking about. After your comment that it does the job I thought it must have been yours.
But thanks for that. I will see if I can find it and have a look.
Greg

Latest posts