"Pimp my Ride" - SDC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condor22

Mike
Reaction score
Finally got the OK from SWMBO to get a SDC and a few Xtras :)

Fitted a Bungy, DD Leather cover, PhaseTech headphone adaptor, Deteknix Wireless Headphones, (Got the Pro Pak from Nenad)

As most have this issue, my first job was to fit an arm rest that works.

For some reason insert pics aren't working.....

So, I made a polypipe rest from 100mm I.D. Cut the segment approx. 25mm above centre and 90mm long. Fitted self adhesive Velcro hook to the inside surfaces of the folding armrest, approx. 50mm long and the Pile to the polypipe. Once in place, I bought a Wear Kit for the GPX i.e. the neoprene cover and fitted it over the polypipe and the SDC folding rest, this also helps hold all in place. Then fed the SDC straps through the top slots.

This pretty well replicates the GPX armrest, which I'm used to on my 5000 and a heckuva lot easier to get the arm in and out of. I had the polypipe and Velcro in the shed, so $28 for the neoprene cover. :)

Looking forward to the first trip.......

Had to close IE and reopen :) Here are the Pics

1506580691_20170928_154445.jpg

1506580691_20170928_154521.jpg

Goldchaser1 said:
Condor does that cover come with the legs or is that your doing?

The DD Leather cover came with the foot. It's curved, covered in canvas, and could be metal as it does not flex, but maybe heavy duty plastic. The underneath has a strip of webbing stitched the whole length, with a loop at the front the foot slides into. It is a little wobbly, but before I modify, I'll try it. I'm off out with it in the next hour so will get back on here later.

Any mod will likely be to allow removal such as Velcro, as riveting in place makes it pretty permanent.

The Deteknix wireless transmitter is Velcro fixed in front of the handle/control display and appears to work ok in that location.

mmmm the foot of the DD Cover can be problematic in that it can be knocked during the swinging of the detector. IF knocked too far to the side and not noticed, it falls over almost immediately.

Will have a think on how to stop this happening, without major mods to the cover.

The other option is to make a different and better foot, preferably plastic.

Again will advise, when I work out a solution. Has anyone come up with another option? Would like to hear from you.....

PS The Deteknix Wireless worked great....

Thanks for that condor had ours a cuppla yrs and still no cover,that looked the goods but normal style cover and maybe some plaky legs up the back might be the go....

The thing I found this arvo was that (right hand on the SDC) when sweeping to the left, the foot on the cover did knock my leg. Holding the detector further out would stop that, but be tiring very quickly. So the best relaxed position is the aim. When centred the foot is 5cm+ either side of the detector which if a different design might be reduced.

I think anything at the rear of the control box would catch the body higher up. I'm thinking something a little more akin to the 5000 foot and perhaps front and rear of the control box.

I'll have a play with a couple of bits of MDF and temporarily fixed with Velcro to test the sweep clearance and stability on ground.

condor22 said:
Has anyone come up with another option? Would like to hear from you.....

I had the same problem with the Dd foot moving and then falling over so I pulled the foot out and wrapped the middle with masking tape until it was nice and tight when inserted.
No more falling over

Reeks said:
condor22 said:
Has anyone come up with another option? Would like to hear from you.....

I had the same problem with the Dd foot moving and then falling over so I pulled the foot out and wrapped the middle with masking tape until it was nice and tight when inserted.
No more falling over

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind...:)

Got the idea from a recent Bendigo Prospecting Club meet (modified)

Battery storage - simple, effective and cheap.

Mat'l List; (All avail @ Bunnings)
  • 1 x Polypipe 32mm OD x 29mm ID x 1M length (Pressure PVC Pipe Class 12 Holman 25mm) - $3.05[/*]
  • 4 x Pressure PVC Cap End - $1.85 ea[/*]
  • 3-5mm thick Felt self adhesive to suit, something like furniture feet or I used a piece I had, cut 25mm square and cut off the corners.[/*]
  • Silicone sealer.[/*]

1506828306_20171001_124958.jpg

Cut a piece of tube 200mm long, take one end cap and stick the felt onto the inside face - do both caps (it is self adhesive) Put a dob of silicone on the inside face as the self adhesive may eventually give way.
Using a rubber/soft hammer fit this end cap solidly home. Place 4 C cell batteries into the tube and place the end cap on firmly enough to stay put, but not be too hard to remove.
Draw a line in pencil on the pipe where this cap finishes. Measure the distance from the end of the pipe to the line (A). Measure the distance from the end of the battery to the end of the pipe (B). Measure the edge of the removable end cap to the surface of the felt (C).

Then calculate B+C-A This is how much pipe needs to be trimmed for the batteries to be size for size with the internal pipe length.

With the felt I used, hammering the fixed cap and push fitting the removable one, both of mine worked out to 191mm pipe length. (This will vary with the "cushion" material used)
This suited both the Minelab C cells and the Accupower 6000 cells. I also used a permanent texta to draw a line arround the edge of the fixed cap.

The 1M pipe will make 5 tube holders, which makes the cost per battery holder @ <$5 each. Enjoy

Had another look at the foot rest on the DD Leather SDC Cover.
1506830272_foot.jpg

As can be seen it is inherently unstable - Not only curved on its length, but slight curve on its cross section. So basically point contact with the cover/detector. The foot is held by a stitched webbing tunnel, which is also flexible. The cover is held by Velcro straps to the detector which also has some give. The foot has no lateral fixing which makes it easy to slide in and out of the webbing. In my opinion it's a 50-50 chance of the detector actually standing when put down on the ground. So next job is to stabilise it. I have used a 2300 with no cover or foot, it falls over more often than not.

Will look at the following possibilities;

1. Remove the foot from the tunnel and fit to the outside of the webbing.
2, Refix to the cover using a pivot point. I have seen very flat hex drive screws + nylock under the foot, if I can source then great, if not a 1/4" pop rivet.
3. To beef up this area a flat plate inside the cover and under the rivet head. Approx 50mm square. Will cover the whole lot with Airframe Tape to protect the detector body.
4. A 1/4" Washer under the foot to spread the area where the rivet is "fixed".

This should not only make it more stable, but able to rotate inline with the detector body until needed. Then it's a matter of trying it.

I've seen another idea using a flat foot, so may try that first.

So, went back to the "drawing board", modelled a foot, I thought would work.

Criteria - Being a new detector and cover, I did not want to start poking or drilling holes, or make the mod permanent. Enter, a webbing strap, plastic buckle (readily available, I had one in the shed). Also, wanted to avoid anything metallic.

I don't have a 3D printer, but am experienced in their use when working in another life :). So, I modelled the part, exported the .STL file emailed to a guy in the business for a quote, which came in at $30. That was last night, I just collected it and it works a treat. Excellent turn around and service.

1507525727_20171009_150809.jpg

1507525728_20171009_150826.jpg

1507525728_20171009_150932.jpg

1507525728_20171009_150954.jpg

The foot sits at the front mainly to avoid body knocks, it has 2 slots roughly inline with the edge of the SDC/cover for the strap. I have the buckle on the left side, with the extra webbing going over the top of the detector and under the Velcro cover straps. Some extra webbing is required to pull it tight.

I've pushed and rocked the SDC and it stays upright, the foot protrudes about 30mm each side and doesn't get in my way, it's light so no effect on weight (approx. 25gr or less than an oz. in real units, lol). AND, above all else no holes drilled, cheap and easily removed.

Problem solvered, with the only unknown being durability, only time will tell :)

Edit - Foot mat'l is HD Black ABS

Latest posts