SDC2300 and Gold Bug 2 Tibooburra.Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been at tibooburra now for a couple of weeks. Been using my sdc with moderate success. I have found the sdc is getting noisy and thought I would get my old Gold Bug 2 into action. I have been mainly going over old diggings. The Gold Bug is magic, I have been finding gold especially specimen gold Some pieces around 0.1g which scream on the Gold Bug but Sdc doesn't make a sound on. It must be something to do with the conglomerate type material. The Gold Bug2 has a 6 inch coil and will find gold so tiny it is hard to believe. I got onto a patch of tiny gold today and got 15 specks in an area of a 150 ml square. Those fifteen bits total weight around 0.1g. It all adds up in the end. I am thinking about taking a small bucket to toss my small shovel full of dirt with a signal in it to sort out when back at camp possibly pan it. Oh well its all fun seeya Ned.

Hi Neddy

Sounds like it might be a interesting area to do some dry blowing when the ground is dry by the sounds of that! Not sure if your allowed to take marital away from that area but if you are allowed to could be interesting to see the results of that.

Cheers
Hoggy

G'day neddy, you must be the last man standing from the club trip, or are there others still there to keep you company? I reckon if old Dave is still there, he would be needing a wheelchair by now :lol:
I'd be staying there as long as possible...... the weather down here is crap at present,
Cheers Adrian.

Hi Adrian might be here for another week yet. As you say weather at home is crap. I am the last one here. Dave left last Wednesday fearful of rain. They got to Broken hill and copped rain all the way home from there. Weather here is great 27 forecast for Wednesday. One lady got a 5 grammer on common using sdc. Oh well got to be lucky. Go out for another play this arvo see how I go.

The Gb2 is doing well for sure I have been going over areas flogged with sdcs and pulling out gold missed, only down side is I am also picking out tiny shot as well. The small gold gives a nice zip zip signal. Slightly bigger gold will give a zap zap signal similar to shot. Bigger gold 0.1g upwards sounds like quack quack. Small iron will give a very sharp ear piercing signal which can be nulled out using disc mode. I have been using the machine for close to ten years and pulled out thousands of targets. So I guess my description of tones is pretty accurate. Hot rocks and ground noise are different again. Much broader signal and a bung noise for hotrocks is typical. All fun with a great machine.

I went up there with sdc and had some success finding a few bits going over old dry blow heaps. Most pieces found were small and on the sdc were easily missed being such a weak signal. I decided give my old Fisher GoldBug 2 go.There was some noise mainly due to hot rocks but signals from small gold nuggets were clear and plentiful. In one area which I went over about 30mts square with sdc and only dug two pellets I went over with the Gold Bug and dug close to 100 small nuggets. These were all very thin and water worn rice grain shaped. My best find for the trip was 1.2grm piece found in shale using the sdc. Total finds amounted to 215 pieces for 6.5 grms. Not much weight but still had a good time.

1503574815_wp_20170824_20_59_34_pro.jpg

Most of the gold on the dryblow heaps is very shallow within a couple of cms of the surface. I tried raking down a few heaps and found nothing deeper than 10cms. These are ideal areas for vlf machines with tiny coils. I was using 6 inch coil on GB2. A friend came to me whilst I detected he also used a Sdc. He didn't find anything, except a few pellets. I detected over the same ground he had detected and found 10 tiny nuggets. Ironically when he left I found some more bits under where he had parked his car.

Great work neddy. I've been using the goldbug2 for a few years and its dynamite on the tiny stuff, occasionally find a few bigger bits too :p :p

Great job Neddy was nice to catch up , that's a fair time up there well done

Cheers

Latest posts