Neatest Raking award

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Came across a couple of areas like this today.
Raked 'rows' about 6 foot across varying in length from around 50 to 150 feet long, all bigger branches heaped up away from the raked area, cleaned bit of bush I've seen in ages, cleaned up better than a good burn off.
Anyone owning up to their handiwork .... wonder if it was worth it, didn't seem to be too many holes dug.
Cheers Tom
1495097521_img_0687.jpg

1495097521_img_0688.jpg

You should have given it a go, if it's in a public area and no sign of recent activities.

Blimey, that's 3 days work just in itself. Very neat.

So, I'm sure it's somewhere on the forum if I searched it, but is raking illegal in Victoria? I'm not being a wowser and wanting someone dobbed in, I'm wanting to know if I can legally rake.

Do rules vary between state forest, state park, regional park, national park, etc?

I've been told that it is 'frowned upon' and that you can rake as long as you then return the area to how you found it. But that wasn't an official interpretation.

Looking at those pics, I would think it's been done with a small tractor/bobcat with a windrowing attachment like a "harley rake"

Northeast said:
Blimey, that's 3 days work just in itself. Very neat.

So, I'm sure it's somewhere on the forum if I searched it, but is raking illegal in Victoria? I'm not being a wowser and wanting someone dobbed in, I'm wanting to know if I can legally rake.

Do rules vary between state forest, state park, regional park, national park, etc?

I've been told that it is 'frowned upon' and that you can rake as long as you then return the area to how you found it. But that wasn't an official interpretation.

It's in the obligations of victorian miners right that vegetation must be restored to original state and the green team would have a complete meltdown. I'm sure old mate is coming back shortly to reinstate it exactly as he found it.... ;)

I however must tip my hat to mother nature who won't allow the status quo to remain for very long.

Pretty damn awesome pics though, I wouldn't have any steam left to swing and dig after that lot.

It's astonishing how quickly an area like that will revert, after a season of Central Victorian wind and rain. I remember back in '84, when Monty and his crew from Dunolly Caravan Park raked acres (probably tens of acres, actually!), on a hillside south of the township. It was right alongside a track and so large that driving through was the most practical way to see it all. Six months later, you'd have thought the whole place was virgin ground - leaf litter everywhere and the windrows had vanished.

I've sometimes wondered how many fruitless hours later prospectors must have wasted on that promising-looking hillside.

This would have been much easier than raking stones in WA. That becomes hard work when you then remove a 100mm with rake and shovel to get extra depth.
A very keen prospector but if you walked a couple runs and found shotty pellets he must have missed yellow if it was there. TG

grubstake said:
It's astonishing how quickly an area like that will revert, after a season of Central Victorian wind and rain. I remember back in '84, when Monty and his crew from Dunolly Caravan Park raked acres (probably tens of acres, actually!), on a hillside south of the township. It was right alongside a track and so large that driving through was the most practical way to see it all. Six months later, you'd have thought the whole place was virgin ground - leaf litter everywhere and the windrows had vanished.

I've sometimes wondered how many fruitless hours later prospectors must have wasted on that promising-looking hillside.
I reakon I've spent quite a few hrs on that hillside( may not be the same one but I think it is) have found a few small bits , not too many but enough to put a smile on the dial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts