Bathurst Members (or nearby areas + others interested in NSW areas)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasko

Matt
Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently I've approached a few local area councils about considering the recent NSW Resources approach/offer for more LGA's to become fossicking districts. Essentially in becoming a fossicking district it removes the need for us to by rights (legally) have to acquire the permission of Exploration Lease holders to fossick. It doesn't change any other access requirements but removes a lot of red tape (stupidity). You still need landholder permissions & other mining tenement permissions for access.
Today I received notice that a report has been prepared for Bathurst Regional Council to consider at their meeting on June 1. The report is very favourably written in support of the Bathurst Region becoming a fossicking district. This area includes well known areas such as Hill End/Tambaroora, Sofala, Wattle Flat etc.
I know it's late notice but if any members live in the Bathurst area, nearby or are otherwise interested in seeing this get through & could contact Bathurst councilors to reinforce the benefits of this to not only local people but in tourism promotion hopefully we'll see the need for EL holder permission removed.
I've personally been asked to move on by an EL holder in this area whilst on otherwise freely accessible Crown Land & think this rule is probably the most unfair + in many cases unknowingly broken law we are expected to comply with.
Other councils I've contacted in regards to this are Mid-Western Regional Council ( Mudgee, Gulgong, Hargraves, Windeyer etc.) & Wellington Regional Council ( Stuart Town, Burrendong etc.). Hopefully these areas get on board too & if anyone who is interested in this getting through then also contact these councils or any others local to yourself.

G'Day Mbasko,
Mudgee LGA are in the process of going down the same track as Bathurst, a week or so back I had a meeting with the CEO and manager of Mudgee Tourism as a follow-up from earlier communications with NAPFA. They are very positive on the benefits that amateur prospecting can bring to the area and are currently working with council to have the Mudgee LGA gazetted as a fossicking district, I should have a progress report next week.
Cheers, SinHof.

mbasko

Well Done.

I don't live near there but do detect there and I will email something to Bathurst Council in support.

NM

Good news Mbasko,

Copy and pasted this for anyone interested :)

Cheers,

Billy.

1 FOSSICKING DISTRICT (20.00020)
Recommendation: That Council consents to the Bathurst Regional Council Local
Government Area being declared a fossicking district.
Report: Council has been advised that the NSW Government is planning on expanding
the number of declared fossicking districts to make regional areas more attractive as a
destination for fossickers.
Fossicking (the small-scale collection of minerals and gemstones) is a growing part of the
geotourism industry. It is particularly popular among retirees and international travellers,
and could make a significant contribution to regional economies.
Fossicking is a low environment impact, safe and healthy outdoor activity that can be family
orientated in many cases. The Bathurst region boasts a large number of opportunities for
locals and tourists to participate with the area being known for both gold and gemstones.
There are already a number of fossicking areas that cover various regions of the state. A
copy of the current NSW Fossicking Districts are indicated in the map at attachment 1.
Declaring an area as a fossicking district will not provide open access to land for recreational
fossickers. For example, fossicking activities are prohibited in National Parks. In addition,
fossickers must follow the guidelines and requirements as set out by the Division of
Resources & Energy in the NSW Guide to Fossicking. A copy of the guide is provided at
attachment 2.
The legal effect of a declared fossicking district is that fossickers do not need the permission
of the holder of a mineral or petroleum exploration licence over the land in question.
However, they will still need the permission of local landholders, assessment and mining
lease holders, and holders of mineral claims or opal prospecting licences.
As there are no potential risks to Council in becoming a fossicking district and opportunities
for the development of tourism in the district are also presented, it is recommended that
Council consent to the Bathurst Regional Council Local Government Area becoming a
fossicking district
Financial Implications: There are no financial implications resulting from this report.

Thanks fellas. Although I've pushed for the EL rule to be removed/relaxed over a number of years in NSW it was NAPFA's work in getting the Minister to approach local councils with the offer of gazetting more fossicking districts that has made it possible. Without a representative body in NSW I highly doubt it would have ever happened.
It's now up to us to petition our local Council areas & get more LGA's declared as fossicking districts. NAPFA have done the hard work for us so we need to help push it locally now.
If your in NSW please join NAPFA http://www.napfa.net/Join-the-rebellion.html
They are really making some good inroads for us in NSW & the more support the better!

Good work to all involved, pushing a council resolution was a great strategic initiative Matt. :cool:

Hope other Council's, particularly Councilors, adopt a similar approach.

great result for the NAPFA. It will make things a lot clearer for prospectors visiting your area. Hope the other towns see the light as well.

Mat your work for us members and the greater fossicking community is immeasurable. I understand NAPFA is a major influence in these desiscions BUT your commitment and ground work is amazing mate.
I will also ask for all our members and visitors to join NAPFA as they are really working hard and getting results for us all.

:8 Thanks Gary - theres a few people, I know some are members of this forum also, that do what they can behind the scenes too so I like to think we are chipping away as a team. I appreciate the comment mate & just try to do what I can. I've gotta say I'm pretty happy/proud with this result knowing I contributed in part but won't get too carried away until I see the NSW Government Gazette notice (although it should be just a formality now I would think).

Well done mbasko ! This is the kind of effort and outcome we need here in Queensland to get some changes. Having a body up here like NAPFA would be a huge help as there appears to be not much chance of individuals getting anywhere with authorities. Qld fossicking is hard work...up against an ambiguous Act and Regs with no-one leading the charge for change.

Again, well done and good for you and others. Cant wait to get back into NSW and Vic.

Latest posts