Info for Detectorists in Maitland area!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoopa

Tim
Reaction score
This afternoon I went for a short hunt at a local park in the Maitland area and noticed that a fellow detectorist had already been in the area. Now that's not a problem as it's great to see others out having a go. What was a problem was the 30cm (1 foot) square holes that had been dug to recover the coin. I suppose it's none of my business what others do but I was approached by a council officer who was not happy about the damage and I can't blame him. After demonstrating my method of recovery (a round sod of earth about 100mm across) and how it neatly fitted back into place he was happy I wasn't the culprit. Someone is scalping the grass back, digging the item out, then placing the grass back. The problem arises a week later when the grass is dead because they have killed the roots and the area is covered in hundreds of dead squares. Goldbuzz and I saw this same damage at a park near the historic Maitland goal. I hope the people involved aren't on our forum how ever if they are-if you can't pin point get someone to show you how. If you don't pick your game up we may find ourselves without any places to detect. From the conversation I had with the officer it appears people are watching what's happening in the parks so you've been warned.

This highlights the importance for ALL urban detectorists to learn how to plug correctly. On several occasions I too have seen the damage left behind from either uneducated or just plain lazy detectorists.

I think we need to put a little more emphasis on this subject and help to ensure that newcomers are familiar with correct extraction methods.

At the end of that day, If we don't all do right by our local councils, they won't support our hobby.

Yo Scoopa ,I'll bet they were the same doods who's handy work that I came across . There is a couple of old blokes around Maitland Who leave their marks in parks ,,,,Left bomb size craters !!!!! UNCOVERED !!!!!

L/R

I've seen it on organised digs in the UK after all being warned prior to the start about filling in their holes,they still leave them. I don't think it's an education problem filling in a hole is not rocket science it's pure lazyness no one could be that stupid. Clubs have been thrown off good land because of a few lazy people. Our hobby needs to be protected here or we will see more knock backs and restrictions. Once you loose it you will never get it back, it will spread from council to council. Makes me cranky!

:(

G'day: I'm keen to do some training mainly in Victoria but would venture into New South Wales if the training course was exceptional. I've had some very basic training in Maryborough and Bendigo but after a bit of a break need a refresher. Would particularly like to go on a tour with a group for maybe 3 or 4 days. Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks for your constructive comments. After all we're only looking after ourselves if we can put an end to this behavior.

Latest posts