Silver's Watches

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver

silver
Reaction score
here's that silver fob I found a fair while ago. :) (a bit of silver I drool over on occasion) :p
This would be a BPA find. :lol:
1440190379_sam_2812.jpg

You can see where it was up against a bit of rusty steel.
1440190379_sam_2813.jpg

And the hihge itself on the right looks like it has a bit of rust,... would probably break at this point if I tried to open it(I recon).
1440190379_sam_2814.jpg

I could soak it in CLR,.. but I worry that there would be ingress of that fluid and , if i couldn't get it open at all, that it would wreck the insides over time(if they arn't already stuffed that is) :eek:
1440190380_sam_2815.jpg

The little button to open it looks pretty ok on the outside.
1440190380_sam_2816.jpg

And someone put in a lot of time to carve it and dot it.(musta had a good eye on em) :D
1440190559_sam_2817.jpg

That lip to open it just keeps on beconing,... Ohh soo much. :lol:
1440190559_sam_2818.jpg

It's the only one I've ever found fully intact,... so I feel pretty confident in saying that an intact one as a bucket list item would be a fair call by anyone. :D ;)

Yeah,.. it's only ever been cleaned with soap and water,.... I suppose I could just stand it in a shallow bit of CLR for the hinge only(but then there is osmosis to ponder over),... and I could hold it upside down and use a paintbrush to get the outside of the buisiness bits at the top,... maybe one day. :/

Ooohhhhh....it shines :p :p

Maybe a toothpick of olive oil on the hinge, but some things are better of admired for the thought of what could be inside. Love it. :cool:

Wally69 said:
Ooohhhhh....it shines :p :p

Maybe a toothpick of olive oil on the hinge, but some things are better of admired for the thought of what could be inside. Love it. :cool:
Yeah Wally,... olive oil would be OK, and wouldn't affect the patina that it's got going on,... I just like that intactness that it has at the moment,... be a pitty to have to show off two bits to it. :p

Sandta said:
Its a good looking piece
I dont think the hinge pin will survive no matter what you try to do
I wonder what a jeweler would do in that situation ? :D

almost definately has a porcelian face, the hands prob steel, the glass maybe intact. The spring is steel, and so will be other bits and pieces. It will never be money-wise worth repairing. CLR could effect the painted face? I would take it apart, remove the workings, clean the empty case, stick an old silver coin in it, and superglue it together. A nice keep sake or gift, and you could get the blank area on the case engraved.

rocketaroo said:
almost definately has a porcelian face, the hands prob steel, the glass maybe intact. The spring is steel, and so will be other bits and pieces. It will never be money-wise worth repairing. CLR could effect the painted face? I would take it apart, remove the workings, clean the empty case, stick an old silver coin in it, and superglue it together. A nice keep sake or gift, and you could get the blank area on the case engraved.
That'a good idea RKT. :D

Very nice find.
But "slowly" warm her up, might loosen some bits that are stuck on the hinges,
If no sign of movement after a slow warm, then leave it as it is.

That would have been a jaw dropping moment when it came out of the ground mate. :eek:
Well Done. :D
Even if the pin was destroyed gently, It can be replaced.
Yes, Some fob watch's were used as lockets when they stopped working.
Very Nice. :D
Edit.
Certainly eclipses any Florin finds. LOL

Latest posts