Water flow rate

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys iam a newbie just have a question on what size pump (flow rate) I would need to run a sluice built the the same as the walbanker any help would be much appreciated as I only want to buy the pump once and have the right one for the job

it depends on the sluice

best is to look at some others sluices working and see the flow rate they are using

my unit is 12" wide (300mil) and has about 6 feet overall length and i use a small 1 inch pump and that works fine , i have seen a similar size with a 2 inch pump but he runs it just above an idle
cheers Ron

Basically depends on what material you are working.
If you are using that same system for a WalBanker, Start with about 10mm of water flowing over the top
of the crate then adjust your level and flow accordingly.
That is about 130 Liters a minute.
A site sponsor sells Rato pumps and hoses. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/profile.php?id=3382
Keep every thing at 1 1/2 right to the banker then drop your spray bar to 1 inch. Keeps the pressure up.
Also known as a Thornado Pump.
Very Good value for money when starting out. I have had mine for 12 months and no troubles yet. :D

I run my Walbanker with a Honda WX10 pump rated at 140 litres per minute, and use 1 inch hoses. Works well for me BUT:
  • I need to crank it up to almost full throttle[/*]
  • It struggles to provide sufficient spray bar pressure to bust up clay[/*]

If I had my way again, I'd go with a pump rated at 200 litres per minute.

That seems to be the general consensus on here. anywhere between 140 LPM - 200 LPM for most sluices (including the Walbanker and Angus MacKirk sluices). However as mdv stated above, you are better getting a bigger pump and running it just above idle instead of running a smaller pump on full throttle all day. Hey bullseye93 try Private Messaging Wal and ask him. Straight from the horses mouth as they say.

Cracka

Latest posts