Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ACTGold said:
Anybody have spare some spare security door/aluminium frame offcuts for a gem configuration? I've been looking everywhere in Canberra to no avail. I have some heaps of bread crates and a few army pack frames to trade.

Cheers.

Send me a PM mate and can organize to cut some up for you.

Cheers Wal

RileySS said:
Can't send a PM!
Wal, what's the going rate for your highbanker, should you wish to supply more?

Cheers, Riley

G'day Riley,

Finalizing my current orders and won't be making any more for some time mate. It's been eating into my own Hi Banking time a bit too much. More than happy to talk you through the build.

Cheers Wal.

I'm looking at my current highbanker build as I'm interested in chasing a few sapphires in the new year. It's currently 900mm long and 265mm wide. I'd like to try the aluminium mesh and the bred crate as opposed to the riffles I have now for the sapphires. If I were to add an extra 600mm to the sluice should I continue with the straight taper at 265 or would I be better served by tapering down to 210 for the 600mm extension.I'll be using the mesh , bread crate etc in the same position as the specification for the walbanker.
Cheers Dave

G'day Dave,

I'd certainly extend it the 600, and if its only Sapphires you're after I'd leave the bread crate out altogether and run a full length of catwalk mesh only. The set up I show here is a combo unit for both gold and Sapphires and is therefore a compromise to catch both.

My Sapphire only box has no mating or bread crate, and i generally use it at places like GG where there is only a very small amount of gold,(which i sacrifice). I have screws with 2mm heads at the bottom of the catwalk to keep it off the bottom of the sluice. This acts similar to a sieve and lets all the fines and sand run directly underneath.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks for that info Wal. It would be good to see some photos of your various arrangements of the mesh etc.
Cheers Dave

Wal, the matting I picked up from Bunnings are the two mentioned below which are both "off the roll"

Unbacked Blue Loop Matting
http://www.bunnings.com.au/matting-cushion-kenware-900mm-unbackd-blue-cmu900-blu_p4490278

Rubber V Matting
http://www.bunnings.com.au/ideal-rubber-sbr-fine-rib-1mt-wide_p6611081

What is the backed matting you use? Is it either of the following? With the rubber "V" matting, blue loop matting and the bread crate the sandwich comes to about 26mm. I'm hoping that I can find the backed matting you talk about which will bring it down to an overall height of about 20mm instead.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/bayliss-60-x-90cm-ultimat-medium-synthetic-mat_p4490685

or

http://www.bunnings.com.au/bayliss-80-x-120cm-commercial-ultimat-mat_p4490134

HeadsUp said:
its the third and fourth ones depending how long you want it

Just been out to Bunnings and managed to find the backed mats. The loop weave on these guys isn't nearly as big \ open as the blue matting. Does that matter much?

elbowgrease said:
HeadsUp said:

Just been out to Bunnings and managed to find the backed mats. The loop weave on these guys isn't nearly as big \ open as the blue matting. Does that matter much?

the ultimat is what Wal uses ( pardon my speaking on his behalf without his written authority )

i have used both the blue , grey and ultimat

i think it depends on the flow rate for your design of sluice

blue or grey mat might suit higher flows but they must have the ribbed mat under them to catch fine gold that would otherwise get washed under the mat and out the bottom of the sluice

the finer , thinner ultimat i have used in the final stage of sluices under both tip top plastic tray , and under expanded mesh , my opinion is they suit slower flow rates which the walbanker is

the above comments are made based on average gravel conditions . there will be extremes of conditions that you need to adjust your sluice for , for example i recently found a location where there was alot of very heavy ironstone particles in a size around 2 - 3 mm. It is so dense that it chokes up any kind of mat and a blue bowl wont lift the stuff to separate it out of concentrates , it was a mongrel to process .

HeadsUp said:
elbowgrease said:
HeadsUp said:

the ultimat is what Wal uses ( pardon my speaking on his behalf without his written authority )

blue or grey mat might suit higher flows but they must have the ribbed mat under them to catch fine gold that would otherwise get washed under the mat and out the bottom of the sluice

the finer , thinner ultimat i have used in the final stage of sluices under both tip top plastic tray , and under expanded mesh , my opinion is they suit slower flow rates which the walbanker is

the above comments are made based on average gravel conditions . there will be extremes of conditions that you need to adjust your sluice for , for example i recently found a location where there was alot of very heavy ironstone particles in a size around 2 - 3 mm. It is so dense that it chokes up any kind of mat and a blue bowl wont lift the stuff to separate it out of concentrates , it was a mongrel to process .

That all sounds fair,

Currently I have the blue matting + ribbed rubber v matting with the bread crate on top. The three together are about 26mm high so there is a fair build up of water behind the mat before it flows over.

I am hoping that by changing to the ultimat stuff I can bring the height down to about 20mm.

My main concern is wanting the whole setup to run properly with a 1" pump (honda wx10 or something similar) simply to reduce the total weight of what I'll need to carry given that sometimes I need to walk quite a distance. There is nearly 4kg difference between the wx10 and wx15 alone then the increase in weight with going to a larger diameter layflat hose, fittings etc etc. Thankfully I'll have the opportunity to test my box on both 1" and 1.5" pumps before deciding on what I'll need to buy.

If you think the blue mat + ribbed v matting requires more flow than I'll be inclined to take that stuff out and go the ultimat option instead. But also knowing that depending on the conditions (and already having the other mats cut and fitted) one might be better than the other at least the blue mat + ribbed v matting that I've already got won't go to waste.

Planning on shooting out to Bunnings tonight to get the ultimat stuff and see how it goes fitted up.

elbowgrease said:
HeadsUp said:
elbowgrease said:
HeadsUp said:

That all sounds fair,

Currently I have the blue matting + ribbed rubber v matting with the bread crate on top. The three together are about 26mm high so there is a fair build up of water behind the mat before it flows over.

I am hoping that by changing to the ultimat stuff I can bring the height down to about 20mm.

My main concern is wanting the whole setup to run properly with a 1" pump (honda wx10 or something similar) simply to reduce the total weight of what I'll need to carry given that sometimes I need to walk quite a distance. There is nearly 4kg difference between the wx10 and wx15 alone then the increase in weight with going to a larger diameter layflat hose, fittings etc etc. Thankfully I'll have the opportunity to test my box on both 1" and 1.5" pumps before deciding on what I'll need to buy.

If you think the blue mat + ribbed v matting requires more flow than I'll be inclined to take that stuff out and go the ultimat option instead. But also knowing that depending on the conditions (and already having the other mats cut and fitted) one might be better than the other at least the blue mat + ribbed v matting that I've already got won't go to waste.

Planning on shooting out to Bunnings tonight to get the ultimat stuff and see how it goes fitted up.

before you spend money on the ultimat , try putting a flat bar ramp to give the slurry a leg over that 25 mm high step , it will help to maintain laminar classification and speed up water flow

i would use a 32 to 50 mm wide flat bar on a 30 degree angle , and leave about 12 - 15 mm gap between the end of the flat bar and where the plastic bread crate begins , that gap will have a little vortex in it and will trap some heavies , while not depleting the energy in the water flow.

1387775771_sluice_9.jpg

elbowgrease said:
Wal, the matting I picked up from Bunnings are the two mentioned below which are both "off the roll"

Unbacked Blue Loop Matting
http://www.bunnings.com.au/matting-cushion-kenware-900mm-unbackd-blue-cmu900-blu_p4490278

Rubber V Matting
http://www.bunnings.com.au/ideal-rubber-sbr-fine-rib-1mt-wide_p6611081

What is the backed matting you use? Is it either of the following? With the rubber "V" matting, blue loop matting and the bread crate the sandwich comes to about 26mm. I'm hoping that I can find the backed matting you talk about which will bring it down to an overall height of about 20mm instead.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/bayliss-60-x-90cm-ultimat-medium-synthetic-mat_p4490685

or

http://www.bunnings.com.au/bayliss-80-x-120cm-commercial-ultimat-mat_p4490134

I use the 60 x 90 and this gives me 2 mats for the bankers. Go to the trouble and get the backed mat....you won't be disappointed in the long run.

Cheers Wal.

Hey Wal are the spec on your HB the same as your river sluice, Do u interchange the moss, expanded mess etc etc from one to the other or does each sluice have its own internals, many thanks Al

The following began in my introductory post (pid=48445, but cannot post link until I hit 10 posts) but the following content is more relevant here I believe (or at least in the DIY projects category anyway) ... (moderators please relocate/link as required, thanks :))

WalnLiz said:
Welcome to the forum Dave....Got to give you top marks for perseverance, but looks like the banker is getting pretty close to being optimal for where you fossick. Hoping the forum can help with lots of information, as a pool of ideas gives all a lot more to work with.

Best of luck and if you need any advice just holla, and a member will get back to you.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks for the encouragement Wal :)

DIY Highbanker Mk4 progress update ... Measured the dimensions of my Mk3 sluice body and it is remarkably similar to yours, considering I built it without reference to anything similar :/. When bolted together, the body is 1540 long by 100 high, 300 wide at the head, 250 at the end). Finally got the bits together Sunday evening to add legs based on your design. Also found myself a bread crate discarded in a parking lot :) -- only 1 damaged handle, so it's perfect for this! Someone gave me a security screen window (like a typical security screen door) although the mesh is only about 5mm thick with rounded edges and holes are 80 x 70 (almost square), which is around twice the width and half the height of your catwalk mesh (will have to watch this closely in testing).

I have been using ribbed rubber door mats (profile looks like 'LLLLLLL' about 2mm wide by 3mm deep) successfully since my Mk2 (wheelie bin sluice) without any riffles, mesh or other matting. Works OK for the fine Shoalhaven gold anyway. Self cleans really well, even a lot of the black sand reluctantly moves along after the blond has flushed away, leaving only little gold flecks glowing in the grooves.

Now it really is time to lift my game, however! So I will be testing more comprehensive catchment options, including the low profile security mesh (mentioned above) as the boiler, followed by 64cm of bread crate base (actual base is 55 x 65 cm) with the diamond shapes cut out to create those zigzag patterns along the whole length. This will have the ribbed matting underneath to hold any fine gold that gets past the boiler and aluminium angle riffle into the bread crate section (based on your design Wal).

Not sure what I will do at the outlet end yet. I'm mainly after the gold, but would love to try sapphires as well :p. Also planning to expand my efforts into many new locations this year -- and next. Would love to know where to try around Tuena, Grabben Gullen and other spots (such as Oberon region).

Cheers,
Dave E :cool:

Hi Wal,

I'm new to this site, been watching your vids on youtube (feels like I already know you and Liz) anyway keen to get one of your HB's (My first) can you PM me with a price etc. That's if you have the time to put together another one of your fine specimens. Keen to take the kids out and get them hooked big time.

Regards PJ

Latest posts